As part of the annual Beyond Tucson celebration on Saturday, families can come learn how to make fast, easy and healthy trail mix this Saturday at Tucson Medical Center’s The Core at La Encantada, and then face off against our hooping expert for a hula hoop throwdown.
And if that’s not your speed, the Jan. 10 Beyond event features 18 different ways to commemorate the tragedy of January 8, 2011, while also honoring the community’s heartening response in coming together to support one another.
The event, which runs throughout Pima County throughout the day, offers a host of options – for all fitness levels – designed to enhance social connections, outdoor enjoyment and family togetherness:
- Pull some buffelgrass on A Mountain and grab a burrito afterward to refuel.
- Check out some urban wildlife along the Santa Cruz on a three-hour guided hike.
- Teens 11-18 can learn fun, hands-on nutrition lessons, simple, healthy food preparation and gain leadership skills at the 4-H Healthy Living Ambassadors Training.
- Like running for the social aspect instead of the competitive aspect? Enjoy a 4 or 1 mile nature walk on the roads of Saguaro National Park West.
- Fairytales and adventure await those who accept the challenge of going on a storytelling scavenger hunt in Tucson’s historic fairyland.
Make sure to experience BEYOND’s main event – “Together We Move” – a community health fair from noon to 3 p.m. at Armory Park, with walks, bike rides, yoga, the “Overcomer” flash mob dance, Jazzercise and Zumba.
“BEYOND is a special day to spend with friends and family,” said Michelle Crow, BEYOND Organizer. “It is our hope that individuals and families will pick an activity to explore at a new location and enjoy the outdoors.”
Tucson Medical Center is proud to once again sponsor the annual event, now in its fourth year.
“At TMC, we understand the importance of health and well being, both physically and mentally,” said Julia Strange, vice president of Community Benefit. “By going outside and being active, we move toward building a stronger, healthier future. BEYOND is about pushing ourselves outside of our boundaries and refocusing on the importance of family and community, as well as health and fitness.”
Admission is free at most events.
For more information and registration, visit www.beyond-tucson.org/ or the Beyond-Tucson Facebook page.