The Palliative Care Team at Tucson Medical Center is expanding its ability to serve hospital inpatients, now that two board-certified physicians are coming on board.
TMC’s interdisciplinary team can provide full palliative care support for patients with chronic or life-threatening illnesses, starting as soon as it’s appropriate during a patient’s hospitalization. Their work focuses on expert symptom management, goal discussions and advance care planning.
The Palliative Care Team is welcoming its new physicians:
- Johelen Carleton – board-certified in Surgery, Vascular Surgery, and Hospice and Palliative Medicine – is a clinical assistant professor in Surgery at the UA College of Medicine Phoenix campus. She was founding program director of the Hospice & Palliative Care Fellowship at the VA in Phoenix, and acting associate chief of staff for Geriatrics & Extended Care.
- Jatinder Singh – board-certified in Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine – has just completed his Hospice & Palliative Medicine Fellowship at the University of Nevada in Reno. He has been working as a hospitalist in the Banner system in Phoenix.
The Palliative Care Team is available by consult on TMC inpatients with serious illness, including those with multiple co-morbidities and complex medical needs, regardless of the prognosis. Both new physicians are available for consultations, with referrals ordered through the electronic medical record.
The rest of the Palliative Care Team includes:
- Curtis Gedney, M.D. – Palliative Care Program Medical Director
- Alicia Ferguson, MBA – Palliative Care Program Director
- Kim Faber, FNP-C – Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner
- Tina Luciani, R.N. – Palliative Care Nurse Coordinator