In a week filled with gratitude and appreciation, Tucson Medical Center is thankful for the generosity of TMC’s organ donors who have saved 18 lives so far this year.
That marks significant growth in the donation program at TMC, which saved three lives in 2015.
Additionally, thousands of lives have been enhanced and healed through tissue donation and ocular donation.
“The need for organ and tissue donation is still great: In fact, each year, thousands of people die while waiting for this life-saving gift,” said Chelsea Scheeler, the donor program development coordinator for Donor Network of Arizona, noting 2,400 people in Arizona alone are waiting for a life-saving organ.
“We are so thankful to these donors from TMC for the gift of life they’ve extended to others.”
As a beacon to honor those who are presently giving the gift of life, TMC raises the Donate Life Flag at the hospital’s main entrance off of Grant Road every time a donor has been identified.
Did you know:
- One organ donor has the potential to save up to eight lives.
- One tissue donor has the potential to heal 50-75 lives.
- One cornea donor can restore the sight of two individuals.
- There is no cost to the donor’s family or estate for organ and tissue donation.
- In all, 433 lives were saved by the generosity of Arizona donors in 2015
For more information, please visit https://www.donatelifeaz.org/